List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading from 5.14 to 6.0 version
From:       Dale <rdalek1967 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-11-12 21:37:58

Mark Knecht wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 12, 2022 at 12:13 PM Wol <antlists@youngman.org.uk
> <mailto:antlists@youngman.org.uk>> wrote:
> >
> > On 12/11/2022 18:22, Dale wrote:
> > > Where does one go for a list of the LTS kernels?  Since I reboot so
> > > rarely, what not use one of them??  Of course, the kernel I have
> in use
> > > now has long uptimes so it is sort of LTS for this rig anyway.
> >
> > Do you REALLY want an LTS kernel? Sounds like you don't. You need to
> > update them just as much as any other kernel.
> >
> > The point of an LTS kernel is it supposed to NOT receive feature
> > updates, just bug fixes. Given that Artificial Stupidity bots regularly
> > try to apply updates to stable kernels, is it worth restricting yourself
> >   to old kernels? Especially when it's not unknown for a bot to try to
> > backport a patch from kernel X+2, when it depends on a patch from X+1
> > that hasn't been backported, and anybody using that code finds their
> > "stable" kernel blowing up in their face.
> >
> > The idea behind stable kernels is great. The implementation leaves a lot
> > to be desired and, as always, the reason is not enough manpower.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Wol
>
> Wol,
>    While I don't completely disagree with your technical points I
> really don't think your assessment of the purpose of a LTS kernel
> is wide ranging enough.
>
>    I do agree that from what I know of Dale's usage he probably
> doesn't NEED a long term support kernel, but he may be better
> off with one.
>
>    If you are user of apps you pay for - in my case Mixbus - an paid
> version of Ardour - and PixInsight then you are not going to get
> much support if you're off in the weeds running Gentoo and/or
> leading edge kernels. I run Kubuntu now, but not because I think
> it's a better distro, but because I get support. Harrison does all
> the dirty work on the audio stack and Pleiades Astro basically
> says you're on your own running unless you are on just a couple of
> distros. They were no help when I ran Gentoo. They are great
> under Kubuntu.
>
>    An additional point is that if Dale limits himself to an LTS
> kernel then he doesn't have to worry about changes to his
> tool chain. I'm just waiting for the day that Rust becomes
> a driving conversation point on this list. I don't think Dale
> wants or needs to be involved in that.
>
>    Anyway, just my point of view.
>
> Best wishes,
> Mark

Usually, I try to update about once a year.  I don't change hardware
much.  I do plan to get a PCI SATA card with more ports later on but
still, I don't change hardware a whole lot.  Maybe a LTS isn't for me.
I was just curious if I would benefit from using one since I don't
upgrade much and the kernels I run, run for months without problems.  So
to me, they are rock stable.  This is from uprecords, just the first
seven entries.

1   303 days, 11:46:23 | Linux 4.5.2-gentoo        Sat Jul 29 23:20:27 2017
2   227 days, 22:10:30 | Linux 5.6.7-gentoo        Wed Oct 28 13:59:36 2020
3   200 days, 06:51:46 | Linux 4.18.12-gentoo      Sat Jan 12 03:42:55 2019
4   193 days, 09:28:37 | Linux 3.5.3-gentoo        Sat Sep 22 07:50:38 2012
5   184 days, 15:47:57 | Linux 3.18.7-gentoo       Tue Dec 15 21:53:59 2015
6   166 days, 20:47:12 | Linux 5.6.7-gentoo        Thu May 14 00:47:09 2020
7   147 days, 10:32:02 | Linux 5.14.15-gentoo      Sun Feb 13 01:09:41 2022

My current kernel is on the bottom.  With hard drive changes, I been
rebooting more often than usual.  Still, 147 days is pretty stable.  :-D

It was just a thought.  Maybe not even a good one.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)