List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading from 5.14 to 6.0 version
From:       Mark Knecht <markknecht () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-11-12 19:56:57

On Sat, Nov 12, 2022 at 12:13 PM Wol <antlists@youngman.org.uk> wrote:

> On 12/11/2022 18:22, Dale wrote:
> > Where does one go for a list of the LTS kernels?  Since I reboot so
> > rarely, what not use one of them??  Of course, the kernel I have in use
> > now has long uptimes so it is sort of LTS for this rig anyway.
>
> Do you REALLY want an LTS kernel? Sounds like you don't. You need to
> update them just as much as any other kernel.
>
> The point of an LTS kernel is it supposed to NOT receive feature
> updates, just bug fixes. Given that Artificial Stupidity bots regularly
> try to apply updates to stable kernels, is it worth restricting yourself
>   to old kernels? Especially when it's not unknown for a bot to try to
> backport a patch from kernel X+2, when it depends on a patch from X+1
> that hasn't been backported, and anybody using that code finds their
> "stable" kernel blowing up in their face.
>
> The idea behind stable kernels is great. The implementation leaves a lot
> to be desired and, as always, the reason is not enough manpower.
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

Wol,
   While I don't completely disagree with your technical points I
really don't think your assessment of the purpose of a LTS kernel
is wide ranging enough.

   I do agree that from what I know of Dale's usage he probably
doesn't NEED a long term support kernel, but he may be better
off with one.

   If you are user of apps you pay for - in my case Mixbus - an paid
version of Ardour - and PixInsight then you are not going to get
much support if you're off in the weeds running Gentoo and/or
leading edge kernels. I run Kubuntu now, but not because I think
it's a better distro, but because I get support. Harrison does all
the dirty work on the audio stack and Pleiades Astro basically
says you're on your own running unless you are on just a couple of
distros. They were no help when I ran Gentoo. They are great
under Kubuntu.

   An additional point is that if Dale limits himself to an LTS
kernel then he doesn't have to worry about changes to his
tool chain. I'm just waiting for the day that Rust becomes
a driving conversation point on this list. I don't think Dale
wants or needs to be involved in that.

   Anyway, just my point of view.

Best wishes,
Mark