List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    RE: [gentoo-user] Is it possible to make Gentoo LiveGUI ISO image GUI environment look like Windows
From:       Laurence Perkins <lperkins () openeye ! net>
Date:       2022-08-05 14:39:12

Now, that said, if you're willing to do all the maintenance work for them to keep the \
system behaving the way they need it to, then yes. My mother is half-blind and for \
years I kept her old machine running with a Linux OS configured to look like Windows \
XP because she did a lot based on color and screen position. For the Windows 10 look \
you'll need a window manager that has a nice menu available.  Something with \
searching built in, and with good theming support. Then you just need to sort out \
your custom theme.  Don't try to distribute it though, MS will likely get twitchy and \
sue you if you do too good a job.

Note that KDE already has a reasonably Windowsy feel to it.  A lot of users might be \
happy with that.   Although, over the years I've noticed that as long as the menu \
search function will match on keywords as well as just exact program names that's \
usually enough.  The rest of the appearance details matter a lot less.

LMP