List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    [gentoo-user] Re: Sound not sounding
From:       Nikos Chantziaras <realnc () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-03-25 0:07:30

On 23/03/2022 18:50, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> The USB sound dongle on this workstation has stopped working, but only for me.
> The system settings Audio setup window detects it but no sound is heard

Run "alsamixer" (it's a command-line tool) and in the text UI that
appears, press F6, select your USB audio device, and then check if it's
muted or the volume is 0.

PulseAudio generally uses the ALSA sound mixer to change volumes, but
not always. For some devices, it uses a software volume control that
doesn't use the ALSA volume controls. So if those are set to 0, there
will never be any sound.