List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    [gentoo-user] Re: yt-dlp config file different than old youtube-dl
From:       Nikos Chantziaras <realnc () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-01-08 18:40:19

On 08/01/2022 07:26, Dale wrote:
> This is the line from the old youtube-dl.conf that worked for it:
>
> --format 'bestvideo[ext=webm,ext=mp4][width<=?1280]+bestaudio/best'

The "--format-sort" option is much better for this. To prefer 720p video
or lower, but not higher:

--format-sort=width:1280,height:720,vcodec:av1

The AV1 codec preference is nowadays default, but I like to specify it
anyway. AV1 has the smallest video size but at the same time the highest
video quality as well. If AV1 is not available, it will fall back to VP9
(higher quality, bigger size,) and then to H.264 (lower quality, smaller
size.)