List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] ncurses; I think I wrecked my fresh install
From:       Andreas =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=2E_H=FCttel?= <dilfridge () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2021-01-19 13:15:23

Am Dienstag, 19. Januar 2021, 04:21:35 EET schrieb Walter Dnes:
>   Maybe I should've kept quiet.  The unicode fanbois probably saw this
> thread and decided to get heavy-handed.  On my latest pretend update,
> I'm getting 8 (eight) rebuilds with "(unicode*)" being the reason.

That would've been me. And yes... where the impact is low (*) we'll enable it
unconditionally now.

Python relies on unicode being present, the default locale in stages is
C.UTF-8, ... too many central parts of the system just assume it's there.
You'll be assimilated, resistance is futile.

(*) In any case, if large libraries like ICU are needed for unicode support,
we'll keep a useflag, but in that case the flag is called e.g. icu.

--
Andreas K. Hüttel
dilfridge@gentoo.org