List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    [gentoo-user] Re: nvidia x server settings doesn't open
From:       Nikos Chantziaras <realnc () gmail ! com>
Date:       2020-11-29 12:34:46

On 29/11/2020 05:53, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> On 11/28/2020 07:19 AM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>> On 27/11/2020 02:56, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
>>> I just installed nvidia-drivers-455.28-r1 and can not start "nvidia x
>>> server setting" it doesn't open.
>>>
>>> running: $ nvidia-smi
>>> NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA
>>> driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.
>>
>> What's the output of:
>>
>>    lsmod
>>
>> and:
>>
>>    emerge --info
>
> Here it is.
> [...snip...]

Your system is using the nouveau driver. You need to disable it and only
enable the nvidia driver. In your make.conf, change this:

   VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia nouveau"

to:

   VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"

Also, add "nvidia" to your make.conf USE flags (this might not be
actually needed, but better safe than sorry.)

Then also see if you have nouveau enabled for something elsewhere in
your portage configuration. Do this:

   grep -r nouveau /etc/portage

This should print nothing. If it does, then you should edit the files
and disable nouveau.

Finally, tell portage to check what needs to be re-emerged due to these
changes:

   emerge -auDN --with-bdeps=y @world

Reboot.