List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] X11 fails to start up after elogind emerge
From:       Steven Lembark <lembark () wrkhors ! com>
Date:       2020-10-26 14:48:02

On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 13:48:53 +0200
netfab <netbox253@netc.eu> wrote:

> Try to reemerge sys-libs/pam and sys-auth/pambase, and update any
> pam-related configuration :
>
>   https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1116632.html

Checking /etc/pam.d/system-auth:

    auth            required        pam_env.so
    auth            required        pam_unix.so try_first_pass likeauth nullok
    auth            optional        pam_permit.so
    auth            required        pam_faillock.so preauth
    auth            sufficient      pam_unix.so nullok try_first_pass
    auth            [default=die]   pam_faillock.so authfail
    account         required        pam_unix.so
    account         optional        pam_permit.so
    account         required        pam_faillock.so
    password        required        pam_passwdqc.so config=/etc/security/passwdqc.conf
    password        required        pam_unix.so try_first_pass use_authtok nullok sha512 shadow
    password        optional        pam_permit.so
    -session        optional        pam_libcap.so
    session         required        pam_limits.so
    session         required        pam_env.so
    session         required        pam_unix.so
    session         optional        pam_permit.so
    -session        optional        pam_elogind.so

it is there, I don't think the posisiton (last) is an issue.

dbus & elogind are both running:

$ ps aux | grep dbus
message+  1294  0.0  0.0   3952  2376 ?        Ss   09:19   0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system
root      1323  0.0  0.0   3880  3136 ?        S    09:19   0:00 elogind-daemon

One odd thing: If I log in with ssh in then "loginctl list" shows
my session as:

    SESSION UID  USER     SEAT TTY
    c2      1024 lembark       pts/0

i.e., allocated pts but no "seat". It does not show anything for
the console logins via root or my userid. Running "loginctl list"
as myself or su gets nothing with only console logins.

The problem may be here:

    # loginctl user-status;
    Could not get properties: Is a directory.

Q: Anyone know what the path checked for user-status would be?

Looking at the strace output everything opened was ENOENT or a
symlink/file (vs. directory) (see paste, below).

Running "loginctl user-status" in a session opened by ssh gets me:

    $ loginctl user-status;
    lembark (1024)
               Since: Mon 2020-10-26 09:45:43 CDT; 7s ago
               State: active
            Sessions: *c3
              Linger: no
                Unit: user-1024.slice
    (ins)lembark@duke:~ $

logind seems to be running, just not for console sessins????

Any suggestions appreciated.

emerge-info:        <https://pastebin.com/KuGDsWBL>
Xorg.0.log:         <https://pastebin.com/1b0Wn1D0>
strace loginctl:    <https://pastebin.com/78F14s8P>