List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Difficulty setting up apache, php and joomla
From:       "J. Roeleveld" <joost () antarean ! org>
Date:       2017-03-26 18:21:01

On March 26, 2017 7:53:09 PM GMT+02:00, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 26 Mar 2017 17:20:09 Peter Humphrey wrote:
> before
> another
> out

> but
> crosses.
> > >
> > > Choosing a CMS is a textbook example of "pick your poison." We
> usually
> > > go with either Wordpress or Drupal.
> > >
> > > The design of Drupal is much better, technically. Every feature is
> part
> > > of a "module" that you can turn off. The API is well-documented,
> and
> > > it's easy to write new modules. A "content type" in Drupal is a
> thin
> > > abstraction over a database table, and you can build pretty much
> > > anything you want by creating the right content type and then
> creating a
> > > "view" to display it how you want.
> > >
> > > The end result can be nicer for end users; for example, you can
> give
> > > them a button to create a new employee, or a newsletter, or a blog
> > > entry... and each one of those content types will have separate
> fields
> > > and a separate UI. The trade-off is that nothing works
> out-of-the-box in
> > > Drupal, and it will take you two weeks to get all of that set up.
> > >
> > > With Wordpress, you get a nice, clean, easy-to-use site in about
> five
> > > minutes. If that site will work for you -- i.e. if all you need is
> > > pages, menu items, a contact form, and whatever else you can get
> from
> > > pre-existing plugins -- do that!
> > >
> > > Wordpress is made for non-technical users but I don't mean that in
> a bad
> > > way. I've been doing Wordpress updates on some sites for over five
> > > years, and it's never crashed and made me stop what I was doing to
> fix
> > > it. Plugin updates are similarly easy, but I can echo what Mick
> said:
> > > you need to pay attention to the update notifications, and they
> come
> > > frequently.
> > >
> > > All CMSes have terrible security records, so the fact that
> Wordpress
> > > gets hacked all the time shouldn't lead you to believe that another
> CMS
> > > would fare any better. You can make any CMS a lot more secure in
> two
> > >
> > > simple ways:
> > > 1. Always update ASAP.
> > > 2. Don't make your website writable by the anonymous web user.
> > >
> > > The second one means that you will have to update over SSH, at
> least as
> > > long as you maintain the site, but severely limits the damage that
> > > hacker can do with a tiny exploit.
> >
> > Interesting. Another contributor, another opinion. :-)
> >
> > I already have books on WordPress and Joomla, and I've just ordered
> one on
> [...]

People who are not interested can ignore those threads. We semi-regularly discuss \
other things as well on this list.

A discussion about pros and cons of various CMSs is closer to the general topic then \
some of the tangents we've had on here.

And tips/tricks/lessons learned are always useful.

--
Joost