List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] kde-misc/synaptiks crashes immediately
From:       Tom Wijsman <TomWij () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2014-03-22 16:19:14

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 16:47:23 +0100
Alexander Puchmayr <alexander.puchmayr@linznet.at> wrote:

> Symptom:
> Start synaptiks configuration module, get immedeately DrKonqi crash
> report (trace attached, likely not much useful since I disabled debug
> flags) Start either from kde systemsettings or konsole; the latter
> gives
>
> alex@prometheus /datadisk/home/alex $ synaptiks
> Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 14:
> reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.
> KCrash: Application 'synaptiks' crashing...
> KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib64/kde4/libexec/drkonqi from
> kdeinit sock_file=/homedisk/alex/.kde4/socket-prometheus/kdeinit4__0
> unnamed app(17763): Communication problem with  "synaptiks" , it
> probably crashed.
> Error message was:  "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message
> did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)" "
>
> Any ideas what could go wrong?

The crash would reveal what is wrong; therefore, I suggest you to
recompile the libraries of those packages with debug flags.

See http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Quality_Assurance/Backtraces

Besides that, you might be able to use strace and/or ltrace (with -f
parameter; if needed, increase the -s parameter) to see what happens
under the hood.

I'm suspecting you'll find the cause by inspecting both; because as
the trace mixes in evaluation of a Python script, you might need to use
strace and/or ltrace to discover which Python script this is.

A next step could be to use a debugger on that Python script if the
trace, strace and/or ltrace are insufficient to reveal the cause.

When you have found the cause, can you file the details in a bug at
https://bugs.gentoo.org such that the maintainers are aware of this?

Thank you very much in advance.

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : TomWij@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D