List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Sloppy sterm screen update over ssh
From:       Dragostin Yanev <gentoo+user () netixen ! com>
Date:       2013-10-03 7:59:32

On Wed, 2 Oct 2013 19:06:51 -0400
"Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 11:33:19AM -0500, Paul Hartman wrote
> > On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 7:10 PM, Walter Dnes
> > <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:
> > >   I've recently noticed when ssh'ing into another machine that
> > > the xterm display doesn't fully update.  I.e. there are "holes"
> > > where an app updates over a previous screen.  I've tried Google,
> > > but any mention of "screen" is interpreted as the "screen"
> > > utility.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Are you running xterm over ssh (X11 forwarding) or are you running
> > an ssh session inside of an xterm? If the latter I have experienced
> > something similar when my TERM variable was not set correctly and
> > things like Midnight Commander would not fill in the blue background
> > (for example) or fail to blank the screen on updates.
>
>   Another Midnight Commander user!  Yes, I fire up an xterm locally,
> and then ssh to another machine.  I notice this especially with mc
> and vim. Thanks for the pointer.  Now that I know what I should be
> looking for, a Google search indicates I should have...
>
> TERM="xterm"
>
>   Is that correct?  It seems to solve my problem.

Hi Walter,
TERM="xterm" is a reasonable default if you are running xterm.

You might loose color or unicode on some old machines. You can then
try xterm-unicode, xterm-256color, rxvt, rxvt-unicode, etc or even
better delve in to the terminfo database. The only rule is that
terminfo on the remote machine has to have the TERM
profile you have set. You can also set the TERM on the misbehaving
machine(if it's a bug) or copy the profile from your terminfo database
to the remote machine database and fix it that way.