List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] KDE: unwanted dependencies
From:       Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-09-13 10:14:26

On 13/09/2013 12:10, Yuri K. Shatroff wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> I am about to update KDE from 4.10.4 to 4.11.1.
> Is it possible to avoid installing various nepomuks and akonadis which

No

> appear to be required now? I have set USE=-semantic-desktop but it
> doesn't seem to help.
> My current KDE installation is quite happy without that stuff (which
> also brings along tons of other crap).

The KDE maintainers posted quite extensively about this some time back.

It is too hard to try and extract semantic-desktop out of the KDE build
whilst not breaking everything else. What you now do is allow the stuff
to be built, and disable the function in System Settings.

What this in effect means is you spend an extra 20 minutes building and
have a few more meg of disk space consumed by code than you never run.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com