List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Deficient Gnome Window Frames
From:       Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-09-08 10:36:40

On 08/09/2013 12:02, gevisz wrote:
> [...]
>     >             you are welcome. :^)
>     >
>     >             I set up toggling the keyboard layout to <rWin> key in
>     >            /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf as follows:
>     >
>     >            Option "XkbOptions"
>     >
>     "grp:rwin_toggle,grp_led:scroll,compose:menu,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
>     >
>     >            It works for  Gnome and DWM but not for Xfce. :^(
>     >
>     >            Moreover, I need the keyboard layout indicator somewhere on
>     >     the Xfce panel,
>     >            but could not find any.
>     >
>     >
>     > A short update: after installing xfce4-xkb-plugin, which was not
>     > included in the xfce4-meta package
>     > (and I did not noticed it earlier), I finally got a keyboard layout
>     > indicator. At first, it did not work, that is,
>     > I could not switch a keyboard layout in no way. However, later, after
>     > changing some of the plugin's
>     > settings, it suddenly started to switch the keyboard layout.
>     > Interestingly, the applet continued to switch
>     > the keyboard layout even after I have changed all its settings to the
>     > original ones. Magically, the <rWin>
>     > key also started to switch the keyboard layout.
>     >
>     > So, my first and most important objection against Xfce4 is no more
>     > valid. The third one is not
>     > so important. Only the second is a bit annoying but one can live with
>     > it. :^)
>     >
>     > Now, my Xfce4 looks almost like my Gnome2. Its weather applet is even
>     > more informative. :^)
>     >
>     > However, my original question about Deficient Gnome Window Frames is
>     > still valid.
>     >
>     > But not so important any more. :^)
>

>     Window decorations are usually done by the window manager, I assume
>     Gnome2 is no different?
>
>     Have you tried running a different window manager that supports what you
>     want?
>     What is the Gnome2 wm anyway? Metacity? (it's been so long since I
>     looked, I've forgotten)
>

> Yes, the Gnome 2 window manager is Metacity.
>
> However, I never configured my Gnome 2. :^)
>
> I migrated to Gentoo from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and, after mounting my old
> home partition,
> Gnome 2 transparently used its old configs from Ubuntu.
>
> I think that that old Gnome 2 configs may be the reason that, at first,
> I could not get
> the keyboard layout switch in Fxce4.
>
> However, now I have found all that need in Xfce4 and almost completely
> satisfied with it.
>
> The only two features that I do not like in Xfce is
> 1) the ugly icons of Xfce4 weather applet (Gnome 2 had much better ones)

Installing and using an icon theme you like ought to fix that. or you
can just find the icon the applet uses and replace it.

> 2) I can not assign <Win>+<Shift>+<any letter> to any program launcher
> in Fxce4, while it does work in Gnome

Keybindings are often set by the DE in use, according to some form of
plan/spec/look'n'feel/guidelines followed by the devs.

Why don't you just shift to using some different meta key that Xfce does
support? You'll need to work through the 10 days or so it takes to
change the muscle memory in your fingers, but it's an option