List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} image metadata and privacy
From:       Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-09-05 16:56:48

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone found a way to completely sanitize images of all
> potentially privacy-invading metadata for posting online?  I recently
> discovered that there is actually an EXIF thumbnail image.  So if you
> have a photo and you crop it and post it online, the EXIF thumbnail of
> the original uncropped image is still there for all to see.

Whether or not the thumbnail remains uncropped depends on the cropping
software. Competent software should not do that to you, but as we know
not all software has been created equal.

You can use jpegoptim --strip-all to remove any and all extra data
from your picture. Gentoo package name is media-gfx/jpegoptim.