List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    [gentoo-user] Deficient Gnome Window Frames
From:       gevisz <gevisz () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-09-05 12:51:11

Usually, when I open a new window frame in Gnome 2, I have a Close,
Maximize/Restore and Minimize buttons on its upper-right corner.

Sometimes, however, especially when I open a supplementary window frame
from a running program, its upper (text) bar contains only the Close button
with no possibility to maximize the window frame to the whole screen, and
it is extremely inconvenient.

I do remember that I had a similar problem in Gnome 2 under Ubuntu but
somehow managed to get to the configuration where almost all my windows had
Maximize/Restore and Minimize buttons. The only exception was the Firefox
sub-window to save a bookmark. :^(

Just now, I have tries FXCE and found out that it opens all the sub-windows
with the Maximize/Restore, Close and Minimize buttons "out of the box" and
without recompilation of all the programs that do not do the same in Gnome
(except for the Firefox bookmark sub-window, of course).

However, I am reluctant to migrate to FXCE right now because at the moment
I cannot achieve the same look-and-feel as in my Gnome (especially, I miss
the the all-in-one clock-calendar-weather applet with the world map showing
the daytime at different locations).

Could anybody advise me how to get the Close, Maximize/Restore and Minimize
buttons in all window frames in Gnome 2.

Thank you.