List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Fresh install and problem with net.* init.d script
From:       Neil Bothwick <neil () digimed ! co ! uk>
Date:       2013-07-23 0:13:41

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 23:45:04 +0100, FredL wrote:

> I just use my current gentoo system for building a new one from
> scratch, so I only use my current system as it was only a livecd. I
> won't use my current world file or anything else coming from my current
> system (except things like hostname, hosts, or kernel config).  In fact
> I'm building a little script for deploying a very basic gentoo system
> without typing the full list of commands listed in the installation
> documentation. Just a hobby for lazy guy ;)
> Another reason for this fresh install is that I plan to write a full
> doc for describing the installation process for building a cluster
> hosting my own services (ftp, web, mail, etc...) in a para virtualised
> environnement (xen) . So I don't want to have any rubish coming from
> the desktop I currently used, and want to keep things as clean as
> possible.

Sets are your friend here. I have a base set containing all the useful
things I put on all installs, including the things details in the
handbook like a cron daemon and system logger as well as the likes of
eix, conf-update, portage-utils and emacs. Then I have sets for desktop,
laptop etc, each of which inherits the base set.

so it's pretty much a case of partition the disk, unpack the stage3,
emerge @laptop (or whatever, compile the kernel, configure the bootloader
and reboot.

--
Neil Bothwick

Like an atheist in a grave: all dressed up and no place to go.