List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] hp H222 SAS controller
From:       "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists () xunil ! at>
Date:       2013-07-08 18:27:58

Am 08.07.2013 17:58, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
> On 08/07/2013 17:39, Paul Hartman wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 9:04 PM, Paul Hartman
>> <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> ST4000DM000
>>
>> As a side-note these two Seagate 4TB "Desktop" edition drives I bought
>> already, after about than 100 hours of power-on usage, both drives
>> have each encountered dozens of unreadable sectors so far. I was able
>> to correct them (force reallocation) using hdparm... So it should be
>> "fixed", and I'm reading that this is "normal" with newer drives and
>> "don't worry about it", but I'm still coming from the time when 1 bad
>> sector = red alert, replace the drive ASAP.  I guess I will need to
>> monitor and see if it gets worse.
>>

> Way back when in the bad old days of drives measured in 100s of megs,
> you'd get a few bad sectors now and then, and would have to mark them as
> faulty. This didn't bother us then much
>
> Nowadays we have drives that are 8,000 bigger than that so all other
> things being equal we'd expect sectors to fail 8,000 time more (more
> being a very fuzzy concept, and I know full well I'm using it loosely :-) )
>
> Our drives nowadays also have smart firmware, something we had to
> introduce when CHS no longer cut it, this lead to sector failures being
> somewhat "invisible" leaving us with the happy delusion that drives were
> vastly reliable etc etc etc. But you know all this.
>
> A mere few dozen failures in the first 100 hours is a failure rate of
> (Alan whips out the trust sci calculator) 4.8E-6%. Pretty damn
> spectacular if you ask me and WELL within probabilities.
>
> There is likely nothing wrong with your drives. If they are faulty, it's
> highly likely a systemic manufacturing fault of the mechanicals (servo
> systems, motor bearing etc)
>
> You do realize that modern hard drives have for the longest time been up
> there in the Top X list of Most Reliable Devices Made By Mankind Ever?

Does it make sense to apply some sort of burn-in-procedure before
actually formatting and using the disks? Running badblocks or something?

I ask because I wait for that shiny new server and doing so might not
hurt before installing gentoo. Or is that too paranoid and a waste of time?

Thanks, greets, Stefan