List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Freeing up disk space problem!!
From:       Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-02-29 9:23:11

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 01:10:05 -0600
Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 20:38:13 -0600, Dale wrote:
> >
> >> tune2fs -m 1 /dev/data/data1
> >>
> >> Which is where the ext4 file system is on the LVM.  After I run
> >> that then I can expand LVM from there, I hope it works that easy.
> >
> > It does.
> >

> Apparently I am missing something then.  I looked at cfdisk for the
> drive. It reported  right at 750Gb as it should with the change.
> Thing is, I can't get anything else to add it or to even show it is
> available. Some results somewhat shortened:
>
> From cfdisk
>
>  750156.38Mb
>
> root@fireball / # pvs
>   PV         VG   Fmt  Attr PSize   PFree
>   /dev/sdc1  data lvm2 a--  698.63g    0
> root@fireball / # vgs
>   VG   #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize   VFree
>   data   1   1   0 wz--n- 698.63g    0
> root@fireball / # lvs
>   LV    VG   Attr   LSize   Origin Snap%  Move Log Copy%  Convert
>   data1 data -wi-ao 698.63g
> root@fireball / #
>

> So, cfdisk is happy with the change but nothing else seems to see it.
> What am I missing here?  Where did the 50Gbs go to?
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Nowhere.

Disk manufacturers measure kilos of data as 1000
Everyone else measures it in 1024

They do this because it fudges disk sizes to appear 2.4% bigger than
they really are.

When you get into TB drives, it gets worse as 1024*1024*1024*1024
differs from 1000*1000*1000*1000 bu a lot more than 2.4%

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com