List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Freeing up disk space problem!!
From:       "J. Roeleveld" <joost () antarean ! org>
Date:       2012-02-29 7:49:30

On Wed, February 29, 2012 8:10 am, Dale wrote:
> Neil Bothwick wrote:
>> On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 20:38:13 -0600, Dale wrote:
>>
>>> tune2fs -m 1 /dev/data/data1
>>>
>>> Which is where the ext4 file system is on the LVM.  After I run that
>>> then I can expand LVM from there, I hope it works that easy.
>>
>> It does.
>>

> Apparently I am missing something then.  I looked at cfdisk for the
> drive. It reported  right at 750Gb as it should with the change.  Thing
> is, I can't get anything else to add it or to even show it is available.
>  Some results somewhat shortened:
>
> From cfdisk
>
>  750156.38Mb
>
> root@fireball / # pvs
>   PV         VG   Fmt  Attr PSize   PFree
>   /dev/sdc1  data lvm2 a--  698.63g    0
> root@fireball / # vgs
>   VG   #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize   VFree
>   data   1   1   0 wz--n- 698.63g    0
> root@fireball / # lvs
>   LV    VG   Attr   LSize   Origin Snap%  Move Log Copy%  Convert
>   data1 data -wi-ao 698.63g
> root@fireball / #
>

> So, cfdisk is happy with the change but nothing else seems to see it.
> What am I missing here?  Where did the 50Gbs go to?
>
> Dale

What you're missing here is the fact that different tools report the sizes
differently.
Look into the difference between "GiB" and "GB":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mebibyte

you have:
750156.38 MiB =
750156380 KiB =
750156380000 B =
732574589.8 KB =
715404.87 MB =
698.63 GB

(with the "i" the factor is 1000, without it, the factor is 1024)

HTH,

Joost