List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    [gentoo-user] Re: Downgrading gcc
From:       walt <w41ter () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-02-20 20:09:59

On 02/19/2012 08:20 PM, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to downgrade gcc from 4.5.3-r1 to 4.4.5.
>
> The Gentoo gcc UPgrade guide tells me, that ABI are only upward
> compatible which implies problems when downgrading and not upgrading.
>
> Nonetheless a downgrade is needed here and I want to go
> to gcc-4.4.5.

As the others have already said, gcc-config is the way to switch between
gcc versions.  In theory, every time you switch between different gcc's
you *should* run 'fix_libtool_files.sh <old-gcc-version-number>' *and*
recompile every package that links to libstdc++ (because libstdc++ is
part of the gcc package and gcc-config switches versions of libstdc++).

I suspect most people don't actually do those things, however :)
Just keep it in mind if any c++ applications start acting weird.