List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] 3Com PCMCIA network card not recognised
From:       Mick <michaelkintzios () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-12-27 19:48:42

On Tuesday 14 December 2010 20:05:01 Bill Longman wrote:
> On 12/13/2010 07:17 PM, Stroller wrote:
> >> What do you get in log messages and dmesg when you compile
> >> CONFIG_PCMCIA_3C589=m and run modprobe -v
> >
> > Exactly the same thing. If I `modprobe -v 3c589_cs && lsmod | grep -i 3c`
> > I can see the module loaded, but I see exactly the same single line of
> > text (and nothing more) when I plug the card in; the card is not shown
> > in `ifconfig -a`. It doesn't make any difference if I load the module
> > before plugging the card in or afterwards.
> >
> > The only remaining things I can think to do are to `make clean` before
> > compiling my kernel and trying the exact .config & kernel version from
> > the system rescue CD. I'm not optimistic of those, however - I still
> > think I'm likely overlooking something stupid.
>
> Try another kernel branch? Vanilla sources? Etc....

Stroller, have you had any success with this problem using the systemrescue CD
kernel config?  Looking at the configs you posted I can't see anything amiss.

I assume that you have also checked that the necessary symlink is pointing to
/etc/init.d/net.lo ?

If the NIC in question is recognised as eth1 then something like this would be
needed:

cd /etc/init.d
ln -s net.lo net.eth1

Finally, check that you have emerged sys-apps/pcmciautils and reboot for good
measure.

HTH.
--
Regards,