List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    [gentoo-user] [SOLVED] (II) NV(0): Setting screen physical size to 508 x 317
From:       Erik <esigra () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-11-29 9:37:33

2010-07-17 01:54, walt skrev:
> On 07/15/2010 11:03 PM, Erik wrote:
>> You may know enough to help if you are familiar with Xorg, in
>> particular the driver called NV
>
> I know a little about it.  It is no longer maintained by xorg or
> nvidia, so
> that may be part of the problem if you are using recent nvidia hardware.
>
> A commonly asked question is "does it work as expected with the vesa
> driver?"
> (Vesa does not include 2D/3D acceleration, obviously, but it should at
> least
> give you correct results for an ordinary console.)
>
> The open-source 'nv' driver has been replaced by the open-source
> 'nouveau'
> driver, which is still very much a work in progress.  I'm using it
> just to
> experiment -- I don't need 2D/3D acceleration, but maybe you do.  If
> so, you
> need to use nvidia's proprietary 'nvidia' driver because it's the only
> choice
> you have at present.

Now I finally have 'nouveau' sort of working. The hardest part so far
was probably learning the spelling of it.

Unfortunately some icons are corrupted in the taskbar of the panel (see
attached screenshot) and Alt+Tab window. I tried all versions of
xf86-video-nouveau in portage.

["xf86-video-nouveau-0.0.16_pre20101010.png" (image/png)]