List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] (II) NV(0): Setting screen physical size to 508
From:       Erik <esigra () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-07-16 8:14:34

2010-07-16 09:49, Robert Bridge skrev:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Erik <esigra@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> (There are other issues with this video device; it shows only 25 × 80
>> characters in the virtual terminals (should be 75 × 240). This is the
>> new Dell vostro|1720 from November, that replaced the old INSPIRON|8600
>> aquired 5 years earlier, with radeon driver. That old device worked fine
>> without any configuration files. The physical screen size was detected
>> and the virtual kernel output switched to 75 × 240 characters as soon as
>> the device was detected.)
>>
> Hi Erik,
>
> It would help if you actually told us which driver you are using, and
> what the actual hardware is. I'm guessing it's an nVidia card in the
> new laptop, and some form of ATI card in the old one. It sounds like
> the driver is over-riding the xorg.conf with (incorrect) readings it's
> getting from the EDID for the display.

My /etc/make.conf has VIDEO_CARDS="nv" but I thought it was obvious from
the "NV" in the log message. The actual hardware is reported by lspci as
"01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce
9600M GS] (rev a1)". I tried to use read-edid see what EDID shows, but
the call failed (see other message). How would I know if xorg tried to
read EDID and whether it worked?