List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] While installing Gentoo: emerge gentoo-sources
From:       Erik <esigra () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-12 9:50:20

Kyle Adams skrev:
> On 12/11/09 16:43, Dale wrote:
>> Erik wrote:
>>> Now I am trying to install Gentoo on a new system but when try to emerge
>>> gentoo-sources (as I am supposed to), it hangs at "Applying
>>> 4400_alpha-sysctl-uac.patch". This problem is also known as bug #291389.
>>> I see with top in another virtual terminal that rm uses 100% CPU. Is
>>> there any way to continue the installation?
>>>

>> Maybe try a different version of gentoo-sources?
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
> Vanilla-sources will solve the problem until boot time, unless you have
> ext4 partitions.

I am configuring vanilla-sources right now. But I got a scary security
warning. So the plan is:
 1. Go through make menuconfig.
 2. Make kernel and modules.
 3. Install kernel and modules.
 4. Configure bootloader.
 5. Disconnect ethernet cable.
 6. Boot into new system.
 7. Emerge gentoo-sources (assuming that this actually works better in
the new system, without chroot).
 8. Copy over .config.
 9. Make oldconfig.
10. Make kernel and modules.
11. Install kernel and modules.
12. Configure bootloader (add Gentoo kernel).
13. Boot into the Gentoo kernel.
14. Configure bootloader (remove Vanilla kernel).
15. Remove Vanilla kernel and modules.
16. Unmerge vanilla-sources.
17. Reconnect ethernet cable.

Yes, I created ext4 partitions. Maybe that was stupid. I should have
stuck to ReiserFS 3.6 which has worked so well on the old system for
over 5 years. But at least I made /boot ext2 as usual.