List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] [OT-perhaps] Cracking PDF file encryption
From:       Erik <esigra () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-11-09 11:06:31

Mick skrev:
> I am trying to copy some text from a pdf file which has been
> protected, most likely using Adobe on a MSWindows machine.  When I
> select some text, the new KDE4 pdf viewer (Okular) shows the 'copy
> text' right click menu greyed out:
>
> "Copy forbidden by DRM".
>
> I can still copy the text as an image.
>
> Xpdf does not even allow me to copy it as an image after selection.
>
> I can't remember what the case was with KDE 3.5.10 and kpdf - either
> way, is there an application or trick which would allow me to edit the
> pdf file in question and add comments, or cut and paste its textual
> content into a word file and edit it there?  There's a lot of text
> that I need to edit and would rather not have to retype it all ...

I noticed that Okular has the option "Obey DRM restrictions" enabled by
default. I do not know why this was changed. As far as I remember, in
KPDF, it was a compile-time option that was disabled default, and if it
was enabled at compile time, it would appear as a normal option (like in
Okular now), but be disabled by default. Just try to turn it off.