List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] New KDE4 option: "night of the week for strip club
From:       Erik <esigra () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-11-05 21:56:30

Stroller skrev:

> The thing is that "day of the week for religious observance" is intuitive

Probably for those who are into that kind of stuff. For others it can be
disturbing. Same for strip club night.

> - it should default to Sunday in the west, Saturday in certain
> regions, and Pastafarians can select the day appropriate to their
> observance.

The thing with secular societies/desktop environments is that they do
not make assumptions about people's beliefs or religious habits.
Especially not based on which region they live in. They do not treat
religious activities as special compared to other social or recreational
activities.

> The meaning of "day for religious observance" is quite obvious - that
> it applies to the common case of a recurring weekly all-day event.
> Consequently the strip club joke is unhelpful because one doesn't
> usually take the whole day off for this reason.

I have read that many common religious activities also only last one or
maybe up to a few hours. The reason that western people get whole Sunday
off is not that they are supposed to go to church all day. (Obviously,
since we also get Saturdays off.) It is simply that demanding work
requires rest and recreation.

> I don't use KDE myself, so I'm left to wonder if it's possible to have
> multiple "dayS of the week for religious observance"

No.

> In the west we usually have both Saturday and Sunday off from our
> office jobs. Are these clearly marked in a similar manner?

Yes (actually it is Monday-Friday that are marked).

> If I agreed with my boss to work weekend technical support and have
> Mondays and Tuesdays off, could I change it so these are displayed as
> my "weekend"?

It appears so. You could set First work day to Wednesday and Last work
day to Sunday. If you literally want the 2 free days to be the
"weekend", you set First day of week to Wednesday. If you want to mark
your special activity day, you could set Night of the week for strip
club attendance to Tuesday.

But if you agree with your boss to work Tuesday-Thurday and
Saturaday-Sunday, you are out of luck. KDE is not designed to handle it.

To allow that, there should be 2 checkboxes for each weekday; "Work" and
"Special activity". That would even work for the jews that you mentioned.