List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] KDE 4.1
From:       Philip Webb <purslow () sympatico ! ca>
Date:       2008-08-28 22:53:39

080828 Roy Wright wrote:
> if I understand correctly, then main reason for Qt 4 is
> that KDE apps sb able to run on other OSes, eg Windoze.

Yes, that's good ! -- the way to get M$ofties to use free software is
to offer them our desktops & apps, st the Windows OS gets orphaned.

> I tried Dolphin on a Kubuntu system,
> IMO it is a giant step backwards from Konqueror, eg no  fish:// .

Krusader is very good for using Ssh on a remote machine.
Its devs are planning a 2.0 to match KDE 4.x .

> Also from what I gather KDE 4.1 is another developer release
> with 4.2 target as the first user (usable?) release.

The KDE devs have been very apologetic re not warning enough for 4.0 .
IIRC 4.2 is predicted for early 2009 & should have more functions restored.

> the nvidia binary drivers still have major performance issues with KDE4.
> This is a show stopper for me.

Me too.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca