List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] sdl-perl
From:       Daniel D Jones <ddjones () riddlemaster ! org>
Date:       2008-07-30 22:36:04

On Wednesday 30 July 2008 03:32:26 Andrey Falko wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Daniel D Jones
>
> <ddjones@riddlemaster.org> wrote:
> > Anyone have a clue as to what would cause the following error:
> >
> > into /var/tmp/portage/dev-perl/sdl-perl-2.1.3-r3/image/ category dev-perl
> > WARNING: Can't figure out install path for types: arch lib
> > Files will not be installed.
> >
> > The package is already installed, so it succeeded at one time, but
> > revdep-rebuild wants to reinstall it and it keeps failing.  I believe the
> > above is the issue, but I'll paste the full output from the installation
> > attempt below.  There is also this error:
> >
> > Error: 'GLint' not in typemap in OpenGL.xs, line 2099
> >
> > but the process appears to continue after that and I don't _think_ that's
> > causing the ultimate failure.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any assistance.

> >------------
> >
> > # emerge sdl-perl
> >  * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack
> > if relevant.
> >  * A complete build log is located
> > at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-perl/sdl-perl-2.1.3-r3/temp/build.log'.
> >  * The ebuild environment file is located
> > at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-perl/sdl-perl-2.1.3-r3/temp/environment'.
> >  *
> > #
>
> Can you give us the output of emerge --debug sdl-perl ? Can you verify
> that you can successfully install other perl apps like perl-tk or
> something else in the dev-perl category?

Actually, this gave me just the clue I needed to solve the problem.  I tried
to install another package from dev-perl and got complaints that it was
trying to overwrite a file in perl5.10.0.  I've manually installed perl 5.10
so that I can use the nifty new features but left perl 5.8.8 as the default
version on the system.  (When I want to use 5.10, I  put a shebang line in
the script pointing to that executable.)  Poking about on the system for a
bit revealed that /usr/bin/perl pointed to 5.8.8 but
somehow /usr/local/bin/perl was pointing to 5.10.  I don't know why that
caused the issue, or even why there's a perl executable in both places, but
fixing that resolved the issue.  Thanks for the assistance.