List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user]  Re: Ati or Nvida
From:       ionut cucu <cuciferus () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-06-23 10:57:52

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 00:13:33 +0200
Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@laposte.net> wrote:

> Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@tu-clausthal.de> a écrit:
>
> > ATI? Which 3d drivers are as bad as nvidia from 'obfuscation' point
> > of view and a lot worse if you compare the horror stories?
>
> The point is that *this* is changing with ATI.

Just my late 2€:
Amd can't release the technology because it doesn't own it all.I'm not
to good with licence issue but I know that not all ATI techs are theirs
and they were bought from others under the agreement that they don;t
reveal it. For some new models things might be different but they
aren't allowed for older ones to just release the specs. Also I had
experiences with both ati and nvidia:nvidia just increases in
performance from driver version to driver version, while ati's just
might work, sometimes you need to get the drivers from official site to
work, other times work from portage, sometimes you need to search on
f.g.o for a solution, one is never sure with ati(I never was)