List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] 2007.0 CD - 2008.0 install
From:       Uwe Thiem <uwix () iway ! na>
Date:       2008-05-02 19:47:29

On Friday 02 May 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Friday 02 May 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Before I waste a lot of time I just noticed that I'm using a
> > 2007.0 install CD but downloading and setting up a 2008.0 beta2
> > system. Is there any problem building the 2008.0 system files
> > using whatever I get when I chroot into the new installation?
> >
> > At this moment I'm doing the tar xjf portage-latest step and
> > noticed the inconsistency. Apparently all the 2007.0 snapshots,
> > etc., are now gone from the servers.
>
> There shouldn't be a problem. Aside from the fact that a LiveCD is
> quite a complex thing, as far as installation goes it's sole
> purpose is to provide an environment where you can unpack a stage3
> and chroot into it.
>
> When you have chrooted, you are essentially in a self-contained
> environment and all that is left of the original environment is the
> kernel it provides.

Well, plus all running services/daemons unless you take them down
after chrooting and bring them up again within the chroot.

This can be a life saver. I have my portage tree on box A while box B
NFS mounts it. At one stage, NFS versions of A and B got so out of
sync, B couldn't NFS mount /usr/portage any more. A LiveCD with an
NFS version matching (well, at least fitting) the one on box A was my
path to salvation. ;-)

> The build system is provided entirely by the
> chroot and nothing in user space can come from or be influenced by
> what's outside it (this is the entire point of chroot).

This, of course, is absolutely true.

Uwe

--
Ignorance killed the cat, sir, curiosity was framed!