List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user]  kolab questions
From:       Uwe Thiem <uwix () iway ! na>
Date:       2008-04-23 19:00:08

On Wednesday 23 April 2008, James wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I just found this page:
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/kolab/
>
> Groupware is the general category. My questions are:
>
> Has anyone installed this and if so how do you like it?

Loooong time ago. ;-)

> Would one run a traditionally sendmail/postfix server and
> then serve mail/data to the this Kolab groupware server?
> Being able to serve mail/data to a variety of client PC
> would be great.

Kolab is a full replacement for Outlook/Exchange based on IMAP and
LDAP. Unfortunately, it can be a real bitch to set up. Once it works,
it keeps working.

If you want Outlook to use all features like shared calendaring and
such, you need a commercial plugin for each client. :-(

See also:
http://www.kolab.org/

Follow the link for kolab-client.

Disclaimer: My experience with it is very outdated. Things may have
changed meanwhile.

Another not-so-far-away path to groupware in mixed environments: KDE
4.1 (June/July 2008) will be released for Linux and other UNIX-like
OSS systems *and* OSX and Windows. By the time it is released,
install kmail/kontact on *all* clients regardless of the operating
system, enable "Groupware" and voila - you have got it. Just a couple
of months away. ;-)

Uwe

--
Informal Linux Group Namibia: