List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Set a property on a file and have it remove when
From:       Erik <esigra () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-03-03 13:12:53

Daniel Iliev skrev:
> Actually, if there are no other concerns, you'd have to keep only one
> file for reference. Then you could compare the modification times of all
> other files with this reference file.

Good idea! I implemented it and it reduced the number of cache
files/directories in the tree from 633 to 26. The only drawback is that
if the script is interrupted whilst checking a sequence of files with
equal mtime, it will have to start over with that sequence the next time
it is executed. (Files often get the same mtime if they are edited in an
IDE and then all saved when executing the build command.) But reducing
the number of cache files is worth that minor inconvenience.

In case anyone is curious, the script is here:
http://widelands.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/widelands/trunk/utils/spurious_source_code/detect