List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] "emerge -ef world" and "eclean --destructive	distfiles"
From:       Erik <esigra () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-02-23 10:02:12

forgottenwizard skrev:
> On 02:41 Sat 23 Feb     , Erik wrote:
>
>> Alan McKinnon skrev:
>>
>> "emerge -uNDf world" does nothing because the system is up to date. Even if
>> all distfiles are missing, it does nothing (try to move the distfiles
>> directory away while executing it). That command is supposed to "download
>> everything that is missing to update the system". And since the system is
>> up to date, nothing is needed to update it and it will therefore not
>> download anything.
>>
>> What I wanted was "download everything that is missing to reinstall
>> everything that is currently installed". That is what "emerge -ef world"
>> should do. Then I wanted to "remove everything that is not needed to
>> reinstall everything that is currently installed". That is what "eclean
>> --destructive distfiles" should do. Doing both should result in a set of
>> distfiles that is "what is needed and only what is needed to reinstall
>> everything that is currently installed (assuming that the system is up to
>> date)". But since the 2 commands do not agree, something is broken
>> somewhere.
> Have you checked to see if the files deleted by eclean are the current
> versions, or are they old? If they are the most recent you have
> installed, then there is a problem with eclean. If not, then the problem
> is with --fetchonly

I check with the file klibc-1.5.8.tar.bz2.
# emerge -up klibc

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild     U ] dev-libs/klibc-1.5.8 [1.5]

So it seems like klibc is outdated but "emerge -uDNav world" does not
want want to update it!
# equery d klibc
[ Searching for packages depending on klibc... ]
sys-apps/v86d-0.1.3 (dev-libs/klibc)
localhost ~ # grep sys-apps/v86d /var/lib/portage/world
sys-apps/v86d

So sys-apps/v86d is in world and depends dev-libs/klibc, but yet "emerge
-uDNp world" does not want to update dev-libs/klibc, like "emerge -up
dev-libs/klibc" wants to!