List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Deleted /var/lib/portage/config
From:       Erik <sigra () home ! se>
Date:       2006-09-01 9:51:33

David Grant wrote:
> But what is config all about? On my other machine it looks like the
> file contains a bunch of hashes for config files in /etc/. Are these
> used to quickly see if a file in /etc/ is different or does it just do
> a diff?

It looks like the numbers I get when running "md5sum <filename>", at
least for files that I have not modified or deleted. "man portage"
mentions files that portage uses, but not /var/lib/portage/config. It is
either because the file is not meant to be edited by the administrator
or a documentation bug.