List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    [gentoo-user] mysql dump bad encoding
From:       Arnau Bria <arnau () emergetux ! net>
Date:       2006-08-30 16:57:45

Hi,

I've done a dump from a mysql db from my old not utf8 Debian (I don't
really know what it was... and now is crashed).

I've installed a fresh utf-8 gentoo and wanted to restore the db.

Now I see lots of strange characters in my new db, mainly cause old one
was using latin1. So, following some docs, I did an iconv to the file,
but this did not solve my problem. So looking a little more,
I found that original file already was utf8 like:

$ file drupal.sql
drupal.sql: UTF-8 Unicode English text, with very long lines

so, when I do a iconv from latin1 to iconv it does nothing...

Anyone has similar experience with this?
What may I do to correct strnage charcters from teh db?

It looks like:
Ni la ONU, ni la Liga Ã<81>rabe hace nada al respecto, y mientras,
cada dà ­a hay mà ¡s muertos.

(it's spanish, accents are missing...)

Thanks in advance,

PS: I can't see my own post to list, is this normal?

--
Arnau Bria
http://blog.emergetux.net