List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] [Completely and totally OT] FVWM-Crystal...!!!
From:       Mark Knecht <markknecht () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-09-29 19:15:26

On 9/29/05, Holly Bostick <motub@planet.nl> wrote:
> Mark Knecht schreef:
>
> >> Can you record audio from the command line? Or do the X-based
> >> programs you use run under DirectFB? What I'm getting at is getting
> >>  rid of all the obstructions that could possibly interfere with the
> >>  kernel and introduce even more latency issues than what it already
> >>  has
> > <snip>
> >
> > Good questions. I didn't say this earlier. I probably should have. If
> >  I boot this machine into a console mode (i.e. - no xdm/gdm) and run
> >  Jack in one console I can log in as root in another console, do
> > emerges all day long and I get no xruns, at least with the small
> > amount of testing I've done so far. This is using 2.6.14-rc2-mm1 so
> > it has some new code but not all of Ingo's stuff.
>
> OK, so X really is a problem, then. Now I really want to find a way to
> get you rid of it.

In the meantime, following along on Dave's idea about running remotely
I now have Ardour running at 64/2. (sub 3mS) No xruns yet.

1) On Lightning I boot without X and start Jack in a console.

2) On my remote machine some audio apps are failing with lots of
'BadAtom messages, but if I log into Lightning using

ssh -Y lightning ardour

then ardour comes up remotely and seems to be working fine. I've run a
couple of sessions, and at least in playback no xruns yet. I'm also
playing oggs from a 1394 drive and have hdspmixer running. My issue
right now is this is a lot of network traffic and this room only has a
hub so I'm off to pick up a cheap switch at lunch.

I still see a lot of memory usage. That concerns me a bit.

You make some very good points below. I'll come back later today and
spend some time thinking and answering them. For now let me say that I
have <1% of the experience you do with FB solutions (I've NEVER used
it) so that's a whole new area for me to look at, but it could be
interesting.

More later, and thanks very much to you and Dave. I'm not done here.

Cheers,
Mark