List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    [gentoo-user] printing - via windows PC
From:       Ian Porter <ian () designersoft ! co ! uk>
Date:       2005-09-25 21:37:33

Hi all,

I am trying to print on my linux pc via a windows xp pro pc (the printer is a
HP 1110 PSC), but I have followed the advice on
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_print_winserver
but keep on either getting
NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED message via the smb url or ERRDOS via the lpd method.
I have tried to have the smb://guest@workgroup/pcname/printer and also my
smb://userid:password@workgroup/pcname/printer
(with also the lpd version) but that does not work either, I just get either
access denied or just sticks at 21% printer (on the test printer part of
cups) and then it says that the pc is not available,

/var/log/cups/error_log
[Job 1] Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry in 60 seconds...ERROR:
  Connection failed with error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
[Job 1] ERRDOS - ERRbadaccess (Invalid open mode.) opening remote spool Te
st Page

/etc/cups/printers.conf
DeviceURI smb://NAME/HP1110

I have turned off any firewall that was on the windows pc (just incase) but
still no joy.

Any advice ?

I used to have the Linux machine as the print server, but found that my wife
was using the printer far more than me thus made more sense to have the
printer on her pc, if I log onto windows on my pc the printer works fine so
it is shared *ok* as such.

Thanks
Ian
PC - 2.6.12-gentoo-r10