List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    RE: [gentoo-user] When emerge -C package doesn't really remove the
From:       "Dave Nebinger" <dnebinger () joat ! com>
Date:       2005-06-30 14:04:40

butthead ~ # emerge -uDtpv world

These are the packages that I would merge, in reverse order:

Calculating world dependencies ...done!
[nomerge      ] x11-misc/mkxf86config-0.9  -livecd
[nomerge      ]  sys-apps/hwsetup-1.0-r2
[ebuild  N    ]   sys-apps/kudzu-knoppix-1.1.36-r2  -livecd -minimal +nls
+python 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB
butthead ~ #

Hmm, this output makes me think that there apparently are dependencies on
kudzu-knoppix...

Also makes me remember why kudzu-knoppix was installed... When trying to get
X up and running I was using mkxf86config to generate the X config file.

Removing those packages resulted in the removal of the previous need to
install kudzu-knoppix.

Shouldn't equery have identified kudzu-knoppix as a dependency for hwsetup?

How then are dependencies determined by equery?