List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    [gentoo-user] init vs. telinit vs. shutdown vs. ....
From:       Christian Parpart <cparpart () surakware ! net>
Date:       2004-09-06 18:04:17

Hi all,

I'm a little confused. There're lots of ways telling the host to shutdown (or
reboot).

I usually use "shutdown -h now" to shutdown, as this was the very first
command I learned to shutdown.
init is the (hierarichal seen) root process that can also be used to switch
between the runlevels, though, init 0, to shutdown as well.
Then, I read about telinit, that is to be used to tell init to switch between
the runlevels.
Not to mention halt, reboot, and poweroff.

Any comments?
Christian Parpart.

--
 19:59:45 up 13 days,  7:39,  6 users,  load average: 0.31, 0.34, 0.29