List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo or SuSE 9.0 again?
From:       Frank Hellmuth <fhellmuth () yahoo ! de>
Date:       2004-05-15 7:26:03

Am Thursday 06 May 2004 09:16 schrieb THURSTON ACKERMAN:
> Would I be better off if I installed gentoo instead of the
> SuSE 9.0 in my new 120gb hard drive in a couple weeks?
> (Most of my computering is here on internet and/or on our
> genealogy data bases.)

SuSE's automatic hardware detection is not that bad and Gentoo for sure
doesn't offer that level of automation. I think, you should if your Lexmark
X-3 is supported by linux drivers at all, I googled for it and the only
result was your posting. If there's a driver you also should see if SUSE 9.1
includes it (since you say the mouse a brandnew product, you should look for
the latest release of your distribution).

It's quite easy to integrate new releases into a gentoo system, but if there's
no hardware driver, Gentoo, of course, can't support what SuSE can't. So if
it's just for having more and  more easy supported hardware, I'ld say, no,
it's not usefull to switch to gentoo.

Frank