List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] how to prevent an update to a higher major version
From:       Peter Eis <peter.eis () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-05-07 10:44:10

Christian Parpart wrote:

> On Friday 07 May 2004 12:06 pm, Peter Eis wrote:
>
> >create a file  /etc/portage/package.mask and add the line:
> > >=net-www/apache-2
>

> Sorry, but what did you do, that portage knows to watch at the (non
> existend) /etc/portage/ directory for configuration files?
> Or - what do I have to add where to let portage know?

you don't have to to anything to portage.
If a folder /etc/portage exists portage automagically scans for
package.mask ... in this folder (like I learned from some mails in this
list)
Thus all you have to do is to create a folder /etc/portage and add the
file package.mask with the desired entries.
Don't know what other stuff you can add there, though.

Cheers,
Peter