List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-dev] 2004.2 Feature Requests
From:       lukas <lukas () web-xs ! de>
Date:       2004-05-04 18:13:52

On Tuesday 04 May 2004 19:10, Andy Herrman wrote:

> That just moves distfiles, not where packages are installed.

I know this. It was just an example to show you how easy you can
get some free space on your system-partition right now.
But you can also wait until your feature request is implemented. ;)
IMHO lvm is the best solution for managing space on partitions.

> Ok, here's the example that caused this.  I recently installed ut2004
> (yay linux binaries on-disk).  There's no ebuild for it (at least not
> as of when I got it), but I wouldn't be surprised if one shows up, as
> there are ones for 2003.  Anyway, using the installer on disk I tried
> to install to my root partition as would normally be done, only to
> find that I had no where near enough space to install it (5.x GIGs!).
>  So instead I ran the installer as the user and just installed it to
> my home directory.  Using the installer on disk allowed me to do
> this, but if I had used an ebuild I probably wouldn't have been able
> to do this.  And I can forsee this being an issue with other packages
> as well (though not to this scale).  What I would like to be able to
> do is emerge something as a user and have it be installed in that
> user's space.  No biggie though.

It would be a good if (some) users could install programs as
non-root in their user-space. Not for the reason of saving space
in the system-partition but for better security in sytems where
the user sould be able to install software but not be able to
smash the system. ;)

cu

lukas