List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Apache2 and php
From:       Daniel Drake <dsd () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2004-04-27 21:05:35

ken@kenwstevens.net wrote:
> Thanks, That did it. Although I had to move the file to htdocs. Is
> there any way I can set up apache to accss a directory on my user
> account?

Yes. In /etc/apache2/conf/commonapache2.conf you should see a section like this:

###
### UserDir: The name of the directory which is appended onto a user's home
### directory if a ~user request is received.
###
<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
     UserDir public_html
</IfModule>

Make sure its not commented out.
Then create the public_html directory in your home directory.
Then make sure that apache is able to progress to that directory:

chmod a+x /home
chmod a+x /home/youruser
chmod a+x /home/youruser/public_html

(there are probably more secure ways of doing this, but this should be alright
on a closed network..)

Then, a document placed at /home/youruser/public_html/index.php will be
accessible through http://127.0.0.1/~youruser/index.php
(note the ~)

Daniel