List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] xmms playlist editor ?
From:       Sami =?iso-8859-1?q?N=E4=E4t=E4nen?= <sn.ml () bayminer ! com>
Date:       2004-02-29 23:39:37

On Sunday 29 February 2004 21:34, Tom Martin wrote:
> cplay handles all my music. GUI players become so dreary and
> dysfunctional after getting used to cplay :) For anyone reading this
> thread... try out cplay, and take time to read the help. It's really
> fantastic.

I just changed to mpd. It lets you simply use different clients to
connect to it and quit the client and it still plays nicely. Launch
client again and you can modify the current situation.

The only laking thing I know about it is the fact that it only plays
mpeg and ogg music ie no modules, but soundtracker suites that
nostalgic music better anyway. :)

Currently it has GTK2, KDE, PHP and command line clients (At least I
remeber these :). The authors also offer a client library to make it
easier to develop additional clients.

MPD simply suits just perfectly for multimedia keyboards. Just call the
commandline client with correct parameter. You still can launch the
GTK/KDE client to manipulate the playlist etc. Oh and it caches the
music location dirs into database so very fast playlist editing.

One downside about the database is that if one adds music to the music
directory/ries one needs to update the database.

One additional bonus this gives is the fact that this doesn't need X in
the playing machine, but one can still use GUI to edit the playlist
from different machine, because one can connect to the Music Player
Daemon remotely.