List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] xfce4 and keyboard shortcuts
From:       Sami Samhuri <sami () no-eff-eks ! com>
Date:       2004-02-29 22:27:52

On Sun, 2004-02-29 at 07:40, Collins Richey wrote:
> I know there are a lot of contented xfce users on this list.
>
> I have been trying to get keyboard shortcuts to work with little
> success.  The xfce doc recomments creating the file
>
> /home/collins/.themes/xfwm4/custom.keys/keythemerc
>
> and modifying the contents of the available hotkeys.  I have done so
> (see below), but I get no results.

<snip>

> Pressing Alt-F3 .. Alt-F7 produces no results.
>
> Any clues?

Personally I have a million shortcuts and just use xbindkeys for almost
everything. (more desktop space without any icons lying around on
panels)

But anyways, I was mystified with the keythemerc thing for a while too.
They key is that you have to change your settings in the window manager
settings dialog. Click on the "keyboard & <something>" tab and choose
custom.keys.

> As an alternative, has anyone used the xfce4 iconbox?  Provide relevant
> details?
>
> Thanks,

I use the icon box. I just added a symlink to xfce4-iconbox in
~/Desktop/Autostart. I use the taskbar to either show all apps on the
current workspace or apps from all workspaces, it changes. Then I keep
the icon box on the side to hold minimized apps from the current
workspace only. Minimizing to an icon is a great idea and I think the
icon box is a big improvement over CDEs method of sticking the icon on
the desktop.

Like Jakub mentioned you only see the apps title when you move the mouse
over the icon but usually you should have a good idea of what's running
anyways. The icon box is not meant to replace the taskbar at all!

You could switch it so the icon box shows you all apps from all
workspaces or minized apps from all workspaces, switiching settings in
the taskbar and iconbox and just trying different combinations for a
couple days each is not only fun, but you have a dozen different
configs. one of them is bound to suit your needs and feel comfortable.

Sam