List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Life after xfree
From:       rh <reg.hughson () sympatico ! ca>
Date:       2004-02-27 21:35:18

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:52:21 -0800
andfarm@thibs.menloschool.org (Andrew Farmer) wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:47:39 -0800, rh muttered:
> > So now that it seems that some distros, including gentoo, will not
> > be supporting xfree86 and their new licence, would someone tell me
> > what the alternatives are.
> In order of practicality:
> 1.	Write your own ebuilds for XFree 4.4 and above.
> 2.	Keep using old versions of XFree. (Anything before 4.3.99 or so
> is OK.)
> 3.	Use another X server. (Xouvert, for example, ought to
> have one sometime
	soon.)
> 4.	Use another windowing system. (Berlin or KYZ, for example.)
> 5.	Stop using a GUI and drop back to the console.

From what I have read, Berlin, which incidently changed names a few
years ago to Fresco, KYZ or Xouvert are nowhere near ready for general
use.

No, I do not want to go back to a console...that suggestion, my friend,
would kill any progress linux has made towards being a desktop
alternative.

Older versions of xfree86 are a viable alternative but a few years down
the road, are we going to still be expected to use outdated software?

My question was and still is, are there any alternatives that exist
today? I have looked but cannot find any so was asking in case I had
overlooked something.