List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] ntp activity
From:       rh <reg.hughson () sympatico ! ca>
Date:       2004-02-25 10:18:42

> > -0500 rh <reg.hughson@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> > > Have had ntpd running for a few months with no problems. However
> > > in the last few dyas, did notice that my time was not as accurate
> > > and that there was steady (180 or 360 or 540 b/s) activity on my
> > > internet connecton. Traced the activity to ntpd which seems to be
> > > doing ntp requests (of the three servers I have listed in my
> > > ntp.conf) at the rate of once per second, which seems a tad
> > > excessive. Unfortunately, I deleted my log file by mistake but did
> > > see that it stopped updating the time of my sysem
> >
> > a few days ago. My understanding is that the ntpd defaults to
> > something like 64 seconds for a minpoll value. Can someone tell me
> > whether this activity id normal and I just never noticed it before
> > or what. There are no new error messages in the ntpd.log.
>
> Before you go reinstalling (yes, I read your other post) try each of
> the servers directly with ntpdate and see if they are responding as
> they should. If not, find some new servers. If they are... have you
> made a change that could possibly affect it in the last few days? Have
> you tried reinstalling ntp just to confirm? Are there no log messages
> at all regarding ntpd?

Thanks for the reply.
ntpdate works with each of the servers I have in my /etc/ntp.conf.
I don't think I have made any major system chnges in a little while.
Over the past few days, did the usual 'emerge -up' updates. Nothing out
of the ordinary though.
And the log is useless. Is there a way of making it more verbose?
I haven't tried a re-emerge of ntp but will later today.