List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    [gentoo-user] Can't get past 2.6.1
From:       rh <reg.hughson () sympatico ! ca>
Date:       2004-02-11 4:09:33

Have been using the development-sources for a while now with great luck
and am currently running 2.6.1. However, even though all versions after
this will compile, they will not boot...they crash on boot with a
kernel panic...attempt to kill init. Have tried many different things
with no luck.

Am using ~x86...everything is the latest version available.
Always copy my my config file from 2.6.1 and do make oldconfig.
Have tried a brand new config resulting in the same kernel panic.
Have tried the gentoo-dev-sources, same result.
Did change my USE flags recently to include nptl but did go back and
re-compile 2.6.1 with the new flags and it worked fine.

What am I missing? Any hints?

Also, at the same time, I can't get any of the information that flashes
across the screen before it stops with the panic. When I re-boot with my
working kernel, of course I get the latest reboot info with dmesg. How
do I get the failed boot info which I would think would be more helpful?

At the same time, again, I see a mini-debate about this in the forums,
when I am compiling my kernel, what processor do I pick in the config
if mine is an Athlon XP? It used to be listed in the old gentoo-sources.