List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] List police on replies
From:       Tom Wesley <tawesley () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2003-12-27 22:33:55

On Sat, 2003-12-27 at 21:54, Redeeman wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-12-27 at 16:08, Tom Wesley wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Just wondering on the general policy for replying to emails from this
> > list.  I have a tendency to hit the reply and let the email headers
> > dictate where the mail goes.  This does seem to have the disadvantage
> > that replies to emails sent by people who have personally set a reply-to
> > header in their client go directly to the person.
> >
> > As the Gentoo list does not replace this reply-to with an appropriate
> > reply-to header I am thinking that I am correct in blindly continuing as
> > I do, as I am in fact doing as has been requested and replying to the
> > correct address.
> >
> > My point is that should the Gentoo list itself remove extra reply-to's
> > and add one to ensure that the replies get sent to the list and not to
> > personal mailboxes?

> i would prefer if everyone started to reply to list only, but as the client
> has to support it, i fully understand ppl that just press the reply button,
> it just gives me abit more work :)

OK, here is my point exactly.  Not at all picking, or in anyway violent
in my language (I can come across a little pointed at times... :)

In your mail client/server somewhere you have set the reply-to option.
I use Evolution and have the option in the Mail Account settings to add
a reply-to header to all outgoing emails.  You, as many people do, have
done this - therefore Evolution honours this request and by default
sends replies to your address rather than the lists.
As I am quite sure you have very little against the sharing of knowledge
through a mailing list, you probably intended any reply to be returned
to the list and your subscription ensure that you get the reply.

I have deliberately used the "Reply to all" option in replying to this,
so that the list and your personal mailbox will get this text, although
I suspect that you will get both copies.

I only add this as I feel my request was misunderstood.  If it is
standard list policy for all replies to go to the list then this should
enforced.  If it is not then people should either a, stop complaining
about off-list replies, or b, stop requesting off-list replies via the
reply-to header.

As is seems to be general consensus on the list that replies should be
sent to the list itself, should it not be time for the Gentoo list
maintainer to add this header manipulation?

Note for erichey2@comcast.net, you can remove all the Reply-To headers
you like, the From header will still survive, so you can reply to the
sender in all cases.

--
Tom Wesley