List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] xlib error
From:       rh <reg.hughson () sympatico ! ca>
Date:       2003-11-04 21:45:10

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 14:23:11 -0500
Hall Stevenson <hallstevenson@mindspring.com> wrote:

> At 02:09 PM 11/4/2003, you wrote:
> >On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 10:48:48 -0800, Collins Richey muttered:
> > > Before issuing 'su', as your normal user, you must issue 'xhost
> > > +localhost' in order to allow the root user to have access to the
> > > display.  This is considered a security exposure, so as soon as
> > > you exit from the root environment, issue 'xhost -localhost'.
> >
> >NO, NO, NO.
> >
> >xhost is EVIL.
> >
> >Use xauth properly instead: run `xauth list' as user, run `xauth add'
> >with the output as root.
>
> Agreed. People get chastised to no end on Debian-User for suggesting
> 'xhost'. Sure, it's quick and easy... I've got what's supposedly the
> "proper" and safe way to solve this, but it's on my Debian box at
> home. If no one posts it, I can in a few hours.
>

> Hall

Thank you. I kind of thought it was going to be something like that. I
would be interested in seeing your 'proper and safe' way of correcting
it also.

I might as well as this as well....this error only comes up when I have
xdm or gdm running as my login. If I log on without either, issue
startx, open a terminal and then 'su -', I don't get thsi error. Is that
normal as well.

rh